Sunday, February 10, 2013

11 Days to Learn How to Be Strong



I cannot take this at all, I swear. And today I don't mean the surgery.

I mean the seizures.

I started out having a pretty good day. Less anxious than the days before, and I even got good rest. Helped my aunt with some laundry, went to a birthday party, and saw Warm Bodies with my cousin. (Which by the way, is a wonderful and hilarious movie!) I didn't think anything could really ruin my night, to be honest. But I was so, so, so very wrong.


My aunt picked us up from the theatre, and on our way home we had to stop by H-E-B (grocery store). No biggie. Get in, get out. So everything goes fine! Grab our groceries, and before I know it we're at checkout. But checkout is where it went wrong.

I had a seizure in the freakin grocery store with NO aura, whatsoever. I ALWAYS have an aura. This just made no sense. Next thing I knew I was on the ground unable to speak. Cousin was rummaging through my purse trying to find my emergency medications. I could still hardly see. A nice man held my hand while I regained slight consciousness, helped me into a wheelchair, and wheeled me to the parking lot to our car. He was very kind and I wish I knew who he was so I could thank him.

But honestly, as he wheeled me out, I kept my head down. He thought it was because I could not hold my head up, but it was out of embarrassment. I always teach that we should never be embarrassed about our seizures. But there was something about today... It was the endless faces staring at me while I was on the ground. It was the confusion and hoping I didn't say anything that sounded too crazy. Why? Well, some woman was covering her daughter's eyes and ears.

When I got to the car I cried. I've never had a seizure around my aunt or cousin. I didn't know if I scared them or made them upset. I know my aunt understood. My aunt's son actually had seizures when he was a little boy. This seizure must have made me forget that or something. But it seems like I frustrated everyone else judging by the upsetting call from my parents. I know they were just worried, but why so upset when it isn't my fault?

I went upstairs to my cousin's room to lay down. I was hoping to rest a little. To close my eyes and forget the frustration. But I broke down and started to cry hard in front of everyone because I just can't do this anymore. I hate these seizures that come out if nowhere and ruin a great day. They leave you with a headache the size of Texas and so many worries that there's no room to smile. You just keep wondering what you said, or what you did... or what you looked like. And most of the time we'll never know. That's the hardest part.

I just can't take it anymore. I don't deserve these seizures. They're too much for me to take. They're too much for all of us to take. No one deserves or needs them. I want to KILL Epilepsy. Thank God for this surgery. Now can you please give me the strength to go through it? That's all I seem to be missing... So here I am sick to my stomach like you wouldn't believe, crying again, begging the Lord for the strength. I feel so weak that I can hardly even write this.

11 days until surgery. Lord, please give me the strength... I forgot how to be strong like I once was, and I don't have long to learn how to be strong again. 11 days... A week and four days....

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this, for sharing how you feel. We all want to be strong but we all have our moments and stories like this make us feel less alone. You are a very brave girl and you will get through this! I am so excited for you to have this surgery and I will be praying that it is a success story that is coming next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you know how lucky you are to have this surgery. There are people that will never be eligible for the surgery. I hope this surgery works well for you. I know how it feels to cry after your seizure, I used to do it all the time after my gran mals when I was younger. My mother would always be hysterical when i would have a seizure and it upset me. When I met my husband he was calm with me, thats when I quit crying. Basically, when you see others upset, it upsets you after a seizure even during the confusion. Hunny, I have had seizures every day for 35 years, and never in a day have I been seizure free. I look forward to that day, but it will only be in my dreams. But it sounds like you have more stregth for the both of us to get through this. Gl2u. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said something unique, it's not your fault. The people belonging in your life understand this is not your fault. Your parents were concerned, hence the phone call. Because they love you, you did not frustrate them.
    As a seizure survivor, your brain and body go through the stress that only tears can wash away, so go ahead and cry. You deserve time to cry. It's all a part of healing.
    Know that I am always here and National Seizure Disorders Foundation is always here for you. When you need a judgement free shoulder to cry on, please let me know.
    Prayers and positive thoughts are with you over the next few months. Consider this, you may experience pre-surgery stress that is so deep you do not feel it right away. This can trigger seizures.
    Lean on everyone during this time and well after surgery recovery. That's what family is here for and we in the seizure disorders community are your family.

    Peace -

    Tonya Heathco
    National Seizure Disorders Foundation
    NSDF Community

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I could reach out and HUG you right now!...you are strong honey!, look how far you have come, you're in the last sprint now!...pray, I will pray for you. I know that seizures are devastating, my son has retractable generalized epilepsy and he is not eligible for surgery, I have learned courage from him and all of you who have to deal with this on a daily basis. Keep your spirits up (I know it's easy for me say), but that is what I tell my boy and what I have told myself every day during my abusive childhood. Survive and you win!.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me just say living with seizures does take a toll on your emotions your mind and body, its hard to stay strong once those monsters ruin your day, trust me I can relate. But not one ounce of you is weak. "Sometimes you just have to die a little inside in order to be reborn and rise again as a stronger and wiser version of you." Honey, you are so strong and brave. Believe that! Lean on your support system your fans, and have faith in God. You are lucky to be getting this surgery. I will pray for you and I want you to know your not alone. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the courage to share this with us. I wish you nothing but the best of luck on your surgery. Hugs and stay strong! You are a real life hero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel your anguish and your frustration in your writing. I would often cry for hrs after a seizure. I had a right temporal lobectomy in 2005. I am seizure free!! I am sending you good vibes for your upcoming surgery. if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my website and reading my blog! Be sure to like EpilepsyBlogger and my other pages on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter @EpilepsyBlogger for live updates! God bless! - EpilepsyBlogger