Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Switch to Aptiom - Week #1


If you didn't know already from my last blog posts, my Epileptologist has finally let me switch to Aptium. Aptium is in the Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) family of medication, and is considered a perfected form of this drug line. I promised to keep everyone updated for the 3 (possibly 4) week transition. 


My pharmacy was currently out of 800 and 600 MG pills, so I will be using 400 MG pills for these first 30 days. They are rather small and round. Non-coated, which I assumed I would hate. However easy to swallow, so I can't complain. No funky taste or smell. I will be on the MAXIMUM dosage, as this will be taking place of my main seizure medication. 

So far this week has been decent. I will say that I have had severe nausea in the mornings. I might blame this on the fact that I have had a Mirena IUD inserted this week as well. Therefore, I will wait until week #2 to discuss whether the Mirena is to blame or not. I have had one implanted before and never experienced nausea.

I seem to get a little dizzy/lightheaded after each dose. It takes a good half hour before I experience this. Thankfully, I take this at bed time. In the mornings I am good to go. This is aside from the nausea and diarrhea, of course. It has happened every morning this week. This is normal when switching any drug, so it isn't something that has surprised me.

One thing I definitely have noticed is anxiety. I know that Trileptol worked well with people who had anxiety, but I have not found any information that Aptium does the same. I had an anxiety attack in the car today and didn't want to hear any sound or be close to anyone. I felt stuck in the car and wanted to get out. Using my breathing techniques and closing my eyes got me through this, but it does worry me somewhat.

Most importantly of all, no seizure activity... Of course, it is the first week. So I am praying the second week doesn't include this activity. I will keep everyone updated, and if you have any questions feel free to ask! This is a very new medication that has just been released to the market not too long ago. So all info is important.

May you be seizure-FREE,
EpilepsyBlogger 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my website and reading my blog! Be sure to like EpilepsyBlogger and my other pages on Facebook, and follow me on Twitter @EpilepsyBlogger for live updates! God bless! - EpilepsyBlogger